A list of ways to get involved and help those throughout the county:
Donate to our solidarity fund :
Centre County COVID-19 Community Response is a group of community members working to coordinate local mutual aid efforts in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are a grassroots group of neighbors, organizers, and workers providing aid to each other and our community in a time of need.
In addition to the clear public health concerns that COVID-19 presents, the effects of the pandemic have hurt the ability of our community members to make a living. Many people in Centre County are faced with job loss, eviction, food insecurity, and more. Though these hardships existed well before COVID-19, pandemic has only served to exacerbate unlivable conditions. Under the principles of mutual aid, we believe that Centre County community members must work together to provide relief, resources, and joy to each other for the benefit of all.
Offer other aid through 4CR:
- Resident to Resident Support: This tool matches local residents who want to offer help (in the form of delivery groceries, cooking meals, temporary housing, or educational support) to residents who need help. Forms are available in Arabic, English, Spanish, Farsi, Russian, and Chinese.
Support other local organizations:
- Centre Gives 2020: Centre Foundation’s 36-hour online giving event from May 12th at 9AM to May 13 at 9PM. Supports the work of nonprofits in Centre County.
- CommonFood Centre County – a non-profit that provides under-served and under-employed elderly, single parent families, and low-income families in western Centre County and neighboring areas with nutritious food and related services.
- Centre Helps: Offers 24/7 hotline connecting Centre County residents with both financial support (payment of bills) and/or referrals as well as emotional support: Centre Helps provides referral services for food, basic economic needs, transportation, and healthcare including mental health & addiction support.
- Huntingdon House provides support, including emergency shelter, to victims and survivors of domestic violence.
- GoFundMe Pages:
*Centre Helps – Provides a range of assistance (see above)
*Support Healthcare Heroes & Local Restaurants – raising money to locally purchase meals for hospital staff.
- YMCA of Centre County – seeking monetary donations to support programs including food pickup through its Backpack Program, childcare, and other services
- Meals on Wheels State College – seeking monetary donations to support frozen & fresh meal delivery to residents: “We are estimating $25/week per client for the self-stable foods and hope to get that down. We cannot accept grocery donations because so many of our clients have special diets and physical limitations. Therefore, we have to be very selective about our grocery purchases.”
- Virtual Tip Jar – To help service industry workers.
- Make a Difference – Make a donation to support Penn State students facing hardship.
- Medical Care: Keep Families Together – Support local refugee and asylum seeking families.
- Bellefonte FaithCentre – They are the food bank for the Bellefonte and surrounding area and are financially struggling. Make monetary donations or sign up to volunteer. They cannot currently accept item donations.
- Centre Volunteers in Medicine – They provide free medical and dental care, and are seeking donations to pay for PPE.
- Out of the Cold – provides emergency shelter to the homeless.
- Strawberry Fields – provides support services for children and adults with disabilities.
Volunteer – Between established organizations and informal networks of neighbors helping neighbors, there are many ways to share your skills & lend a helping hand (even from a distance):
- Join the State College Neighborhood Grocery Network!
- Volunteer as a contact tracer for the state of Pennsylvania. See details here.
- County-wide: YMCA of Centre County – seeking various food & supply (paper bags to pack food, etc.) donations; They are in need of volunteers for food distribution, especially in Penns Valley. Email email@example.com to help out. Include your name. email address, phone number and where in the Valley you can volunteer. Also, consult the Facebook page for the most up-to-date list of needs.
- Nextdoor.com is a great way to connect with others in your immediate area and help neighbors in need.
- State College area: Meals on Wheels – seeking volunteers who have 1) a valid PA Driver’s License; 2) valid auto insurance; 3) a current PA State Police background check to serve as delivery drivers.
- State College area: SCASD Community Support – seeking volunteers for transportation, childcare, tutoring, translation services.
- Donate time at Centre Safe.
- State College Mask Makers.
- Bellefonte FaithCentre – They are the food bank for the Bellefonte and surrounding area. Make monetary donations or sign up to volunteer. They cannot currently accept item donations.
- Out of the Cold – The emergency homeless shelter in State College is seeking volunteers for 4/6 – 4/19. If you are the second person signing up for a meal, please contact the person already signed up to coordinate.
- Centre County COVID-19 Community Response: join our slack channel at https://ccc19response.slack.com/
Donate Your Supplies/Food – Do you have more supplies than you need or are you willing to run to the store at off-peak hours? These organizations need supplies:
- County-wide: YMCA of Centre County – seeking various food & supply donations; check Facebook page for updated needs.
- State College area: Meals on Wheels – seeking 1) clean freezers; 2) hand sanitizer and wipes.
- Collection box at Webster’s Bookstore Cafe (133 E. Beaver Ave) in the Humes Alley entrance.
- State College area: SCASD Community Support – seeking school supply donations (submit your information via email to find out more).
- CBICC – Survey form for businesses if you can donate or help produce medical supplies.
Support Local Artists & Businesses
- Support Local Artists & Musicians – business websites, Bandcamp links, etc.
- Support Downtown State College businesses – Links for donating or purchasing a gift card.
- Support Centre Markets Farmers Market On-Line
- Webster’s Bookstore – Buy new books through them online.